I’ve been making these Cutlets for several years now. You can use just about any marinade that you want, but in the process I discovered that the Orange Cumin Marinade is the best for these juicy and delightful cutlets. My family loves them even just to snack on.
It’s great to get everyone out gathered by the grill, swimming, and anticipating this dinner.
- 1 lb tofu
- ¾ cup Orange Juice reduced by half
- 1/3 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/8 cup Rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- S & P
- Heat up orange juice in a sauce pan, and reduce by half. This will intensify the orange flavor and bring out the sweetness in the juice. Cool before blending.
- Place onion, cumin, and rice wine vinegar in a blender, with a few drops of water and puree. Add in the cooled orange juice. Slowly, a few drops at a time add the Olive oil. Once the dressing begins to emulsify, you can start a steady stream until all the oil is blended.
- Cut the tofu in half, wrap in paper towel, and place heavy objects on the tofu to press the water out.
- Once pressed, place tofu into a container, add marinade and toss the tofu around. Let marinate overnight. If you can't wait, give the tofu at least 2-4 hours to absorb the flavors of the marinade.
- When the tofu is ready, fire up a grill and oil it down. Get it nice and hot. Place the cutlets on the grill, it will take a few minutes for each side, turn the tofu to make diamond marks (quatrolage in French) if you are feeling creative. The act of grilling will lock the juices of the marinade into the tofu. Remember to baste the tofu with the remaining marinade while it's cooking.
- Serve with Whipped Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus.