I love coleslaw, and there are so many different ways to make it, though the dressing aspect remains the same, vinegar, a little sugar, and, in the modern version, mayonnaise. Reportedly the Romans ate it with eggs added to it, whether cooked or uncooked, it doesn’t say. (Source: The Food Timeline click on “Coleslaw”).
I use home made vegan mayo in this recipe. Though it adds a bit more fat, the addition of apple cider vinegar gives the Slaw a bit more of a punch.
- 1/2 head Cabbage, shredded fine
- 1 Poblano/Pasilla Pepper, julienned (different peppers, but the names are mistaken in different regions)
- 1 Red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 Red onion, julienne
- 1/4 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed, (carton juice is fine if you don't have fresh oranges)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Make the mayo
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Mix thoroughly with dressing.
- Marinate overnight before serving.
- Take this salad to your favorite BBQ gathering, and don't tell them it's vegan. They'll gobble it up!