The other night I came home from work and was really tired. Still, I had to get dinner on the table. We have pared down the cupboards from pre-packaged food, so there aren’t many options for dinner unless I cook.
I had one can of coconut milk left on the shelf. In the refrigerator there were some left-over diced veggies, smoked tofu, and rice. This dish was the perfect way to use up the food in my frig, without having to do a lot of work. I have a well stocked pantry, so I gathered up some spices, and went to work. And I came up with Smokey Tofu and Veggies, with Magic Coconut Sauce.
The Partner started eating, and about half way through she thoroughly relaxed, looked at me and said “you made magic sauce!” I started in with my general litany about how I just opened a can of coconut milk and added some spices. She didn’t let me get away with it. I don’t just make food, and she knows it, after all, she’s the one who named me Kitchen Shaman.
This is a versatile recipe. Try out different veggies. The ones listed were the ones I had available in my frig. The spices, however, are fixed. You can try deviations, but I won’t guarantee the “magic” part of the recipe.
I really don’t know why the coconut became “magic” sauce. It was simple and easy to make. Maybe it’s all the love I put into the food I make, even when I am tired. Maybe it was the combination of spices. Whatever worked, I hope you can produce the same effect on your diners. Try this recipe out, and please let me know how it turns out.
- 1 tbsp Coriander
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tbsp Fennel Seed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 Poblano pepper, diced
- 1 Zucchini, diced
- 1 Squash, diced
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- Smoked Tofu, cubed
- 1 can (15 oz) Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp amchur (mango) powder
- Brown Basmati Rice
- Dice up all the vegetables, and cube tofu.
- To make the ginger paste, grate about a quarter inch of ginger on the micro plane.
- Heat up sauce pan. On low heat, separately toast coriander, cumin and fennel seed.
- Heat up a wok. Add sunflower oil.
- When oil is hot, add peppers and onion. Saute until they start softening.
- Add zucchini, squash, ginger paste, and toasted spices. Saute until the squash start to soften, add the smoked tofu. Cook until the tofu is heated through.
- While the veggies are cooking, open a can of coconut milk, stir it up and pour into same saute pan used for toasting spices. Add paprika, cayenne, and amchur (mango) powder. Bring to a boil, then simmer while the veggies are cooking.
- Cook the basmati rice according to instructions. Place in pasta bowls. Layer in the coconut sauce. Add the veggies and smoked tofu.
- Serve with your favorite flatbreads, naan, tortillas, or steamed mushi buns.
- You can find amchur powder and other exotic spices online or in your local Indian or latin market, if you have one in your area.